Assumption Greek Orthodox Church was built in 1900 and was located at 11000 Charlevoix Street between Beniteau Street and Fairview Street, on Detroit’s lower east side. Assumption Greek Orthodox Church was a magnificent church that was designed in beautiful Italian Renaissance architecture.
Assumption Greek Orthodox Church was a light, tan-brick building, with stone arches and spherical-domes located around the exterior of the church. The main entrance to Assumption Greek Orthodox Church featured a stone, arched doorway that went down to serrate stone columns on each side of the doorway, and was topped with a stone triangular pediment. The were intricate, carved-crosses along the doorway of the main entrance. Above the main entrance was a larger, stone arch that featured a circular, stained-glass window as the centerpiece to the front of the church’s exterior. Above the stone arch and circular, stained-glass window, the building cornice came to a point for a peaked rooftop. This pattern of stone arches, a peaked roofline, and a circular, stained-glass window follow on each side of the church’s exterior, as well as the front façade. On the eastern side of the main entrance, a large, brick tower hovered above the entire church. Atop of the tower there was an all-stone cupola, that featured windowless arches, a copper dome, and was crowned with a stone cross. There was another stone cross located about halfway up the tower. On the western side of the main entrance, a smaller, brick tower rose up to just about the height of the building’s cornice. This brick tower was the same design as the taller tower, as it featured a copper dome and a stone cross, but there was no cupola on this tower. The last copper dome was the largest dome on the exterior of the church, as it played a part in the interior as well. This large dome spanned the distance of the seating area of the sanctuary on the interior and almost the entire back section of the church’s exterior rooftop. The dome was also copper (at one time), featured stone-arched windows that surrounded the entire dome, and was crowned with a stone cross as well. There was also a small, half-dome in the very back of the building that just spanned the pulpit and alter area on the interior of the church. Almost all of the windows around the exterior of the church were bordered with intricate, stone arches and columns. On the interior of the church, you can clearly see the sunlight coming through the arched windows in the larger dome that hovers over the main sanctuary seating. You can also see the half-dome that spans over the pulpit and alter area. This half-dome has a hand-painted mural of Jesus Christ on the interior of the dome. The exterior and interior design of Assumption Greek Orthodox Church was astonishing and a true sight to see.
In 1953, Assumption Greek Orthodox Church built a new church (which was originally a banquet hall), directly next door to the former church, so the property really had two chapel buildings.
In 1977, Assumption Greek Orthodox Church was sold and it became Apostolic Way Church of God. The original chapel at Apostolic Way Church of God started to have maintenance problems; such as a leaky roof, old electrical work, and bad plumbing. After years of holding services out of the original chapel, the services were move to the newer church next door. The original chapel was closed for renovations, but the infrastructure was far too damaged and the renovations kept on getting pushed back. Eventually, the original chapel was closed for good and the newer church next door, had become the new chapel for the Apostolic Way Church of God.
As of 2015, church services are still being held in the “newer” church. The original chapel is still abandoned and badly deteriorating. There are no plans for the original, abandoned chapel.