Project Description

St. Margaret Mary Church was a Catholic church, built in 1930 at 5095 Lemay Street, near the corner of East Warren Avenue, on Detroit’s east side. St. Margaret Mary Church was designed by Detroit architects, Donaldson and Meier, in a dark-brown, brick Romanesque style building. St. Margaret Mary Church was a smaller church, with a sanctuary that only seated about 500 parishioners. St. Margret Mary Church also had a school and a parish house on the property.

Troubles began for St. Margaret Mary Church (and the rest of Detroit) when the “white flight” continued to drain the city of its population. The white population of Detroit began to move to the suburbs, outside of Detroit, in record numbers. The church that was once growing by leaps and bounds was drawing only about 50 people by 1980. St. Margaret Mary Church couldn’t hold on much longer and closed in 1982.

In 1984, the Hill of Calvary Missionary Baptist Church bought the church, the parish house, and the boarded-up school. The Hill of Calvary Missionary Baptist Church maintained a fair amount of parishioners and managed to hold a strong congregation through the years.

The Hill of Calvary Missionary Baptist Church was still in operation when a crook broke into the church in 2012, vandalized, damaged, and tried to burn the church down. The Hill of Calvary Missionary Baptist Church was closed after the damaged were too expensive to fix.

As of 2015, the former St. Margaret Mary Church is still abandoned. There are no plans for redevelopment, renovation, or demolition.

 

St. Margaret Mary Church in 2011:

 

St. Margaret Mary Church in 2012: