The Detroit Fire Department built Engine 49 in 1924. Engine 49 was located at 12515 Grand River Avenue at the corner of Manor Street, on Detroit’s west side. Engine 49 was built in to assist fire and paramedic services to the north west Detroit. Engine 48 was a small, two-story, brick structure with stone details and accents. The exterior of Engine 48 featured a mostly red-brick façade with a single, stone-bordered garage door for the fire engines to pull in and out of. The front roofline of the red-brick façade featured a stone-cornice that peaked in the center of the building’s exterior. In the middle of the stone block that served as the roofline ornament was a clock that overlooked the garage doors of the fire station. The clock was removed some years ago, so now a circular hole sits in the middle of the limestone block and roofline. Engine 49 of the Detroit Fire Department was a gorgeous building and it would go on to serve Detroit for almost 90 years.
In 2012, Engine 49 of the Detroit Fire Department was closed down due to budget cuts and a city-wide restructuring of the fire department. Unfortunately, scrappers broke into the fire station and severely damaged the building. Engine 49 would never re-open again, however it was properly secured with indestructible airplane fiberglass.
As of 2015, Engine 49 still sits abandoned. There are no current plans for the former fire station.