Project Description

The Detroit Fire Department built Engine 8 in 1908.  Engine 8 was located at 1625 West Lafayette Street near the corner of 10th Street, on Detroit’s lower west side.  Engine 8 was built in to assist fire and paramedic services to downtown Detroit.  Engine 8 was a two-story, brick structure with stone details and accents.  The exterior of Engine 8 featured a red-brick façade with a large garage door for the fire engines to pull in and out of.  The garage door featured a stone-border with the words “LADDER COMPANY 12″ etched into the stone. Above the stone-bordered, garage door was a set of three tall, narrow, rectangular windows.  The windows featured a brick and stone arch that actually extended out form the rest of the façade.  Below the set of windows, a small, stone-balcony also extended out from the façade.  Below the stone-balcony there was small, intricate, stone dentils that lined the bottom of the balcony.  On top of the balcony, a beautiful, ornate, red, iron hand-rail accented the exterior of the fire station.  The façade roofline of the red-brick façade featured a stone-cornice that had ornate, stone dentils that followed along the front cornice.  Above the detailed stone-cornicing, a brick-pediment with a rooftop peak overlooked the entire front exterior of the building. Extending from the  brick-pediment, a large flagpole (without a flag for many years) still sits high above the fire station.  Engine 8 of the Detroit Fire Department was a gorgeous building and it would go on to serve Detroit for over 100 years.

In 2012, Engine 8 of the Detroit Fire Department was closed down due to budget cuts and a city-wide restructuring of the fire department.  Unfortunately, scrappers broke into the fire station and severely damaged the building.  Engine 8 would never re-open again, however it was properly secured with indestructible airplane fiberglass.

As of 2015, Engine 8 still sits abandoned.  There are no current plans for the former fire station.