The Laredo Apartments were built in 1927 and were located at 2749 Elmhurst Street, near the corner of Lawton Avenue in Detroit’s notorious Dexter-Linwood Area, on the city’s west side. The Laredo Apartments was a beautiful Art Deco structure that featured Moorish-style accents. The Laredo Apartments had an all brick exterior, with some arched windows and limestone details scattered throughout. The lobby of the Laredo Apartments featured gorgeous woodwork and intricate crown molding with hand-painted designs that surrounded the entire ceiling.
The Laredo Apartments were closed down in 2007 and the building was left for the scrappers. It is truly a sad sight to see such a historic and beautiful place go to waste.
As of 2016, the Laredo Apartments still sit abandoned and are scrapped out.