Constructed in 1905, the Fine Arts Building in Detroit was a seven-story office building in downtown Detroit. The Adams Theater was build behind the building shortly after as a theater for showing silent movies. Although the Adams Theater was a separate structure it’s lobby was located on the ground floor of the Fine Arts Building. The Adams Theater closed in 1988 after being vacant and neglected.
In 2007, the Illitch family, owners of the structure, decided the Fine Arts Building could not be saved due to extensive water damage and structural concerns. The city’s historical commission agreed to a plan for demolition of the building with the facade being preserved for it’s historic value.