First Unitarian Church was built in 1889 and was located at 2870 Woodward Avenue, at the corner of Edmund Place, in Detroit’s Brush Park neighborhood. Brush Park is a historical neighborhood with many old, beautiful mansions that were built in the 1800’s. Brush Park is located just outside of downtown Detroit. First Unitarian Church was designed by Detroit-architects, Donaldson and Meier, in a Romanesque Revival architectural style. First Unitarian Church was a beautiful structure, featuring a gabled-façade built in red-brick and sandstone. First Unitarian Church was one of Detroit’s oldest churches.
First Unitarian Church had a large following and held a strong congregation together for the better part of a century, but the church changed hands in 1932. In the 1970’s, the church eventually became The Resurrection Promise Church. The Resurrection Promise Church eventually moved out, leaving the church empty and vacant for the first time since it was built in 1889. The church officially closed in 2000.
First Unitarian Church was boarded-up around the entire building, but it always seemed like a board was missing somewhere on the building. First Unitarian Church was a popular spot amongst squatters, vagrants, drug addicts, and the homeless.
On May 10, 2014, a two-alarm fire completely gutted the historic church. Crews began knocking it down just hours after the fire was out. Within a week or so, the former First Unitarian Church was completely demolished. The church stood strong for nearly 125 years.
As of 2016, a vacant lot sits where this beautiful church was for over 100 years.