Project Description

The Guild Theater was originally built in 1926 as the Franklin Theatre.  The Franklin Theatre was located at 12719 Gratiot Avenue, at the corner of Waltham Street, on Detroit’s northeast side.  The Franklin Theatre was a small theater that sat only about 350 patrons.  The Franklin Theatre specialized in showing rare, foreign films.

In 1962, under new management, the Franklin Theatre became the Guild Theater.  The Guild Theater stopped showing foreign films and started to show adults films.

In 1992, the Guild Theater took out many of the theater’s seats and built little video booths.  These booths showed adult videos and for 25 cents, the patron could be pick an adult video from a variety of different categories.  The Guild Theater also built a catwalk for stripers to perform dances for the audience that sat directly below the catwalk.

The Guild Theater closed in 2000.  The theater is abandoned, but still standing today.