Harvard Square Centre was built in 1925 and was located at 1344 Broadway Street between East Grand River Avenue and Gratiot Avenue, in downtown Detroit’s Harmonie Park. The original name of Harvard Square Centre was the Broadway Exchange Building. Harvard Square Centre was a twelve-story structure that was designed in Neo Classicism architectural style by noted-architect George Mason.
The façade detail of Harvard Square Centre was made of terra cotta and applied masonry. The façade of Harvard Square Centre featured off-white, terra cotta columns that separated each set of windows and ran vertically down the entire length of the building’s exterior. Between the second and third floor there was an intricate, stone-frieze that featured curlicues and garlands. Above the stone-frieze, there was a twisting, brass, balcony railing that extended the width of the building. Just below the stone-frieze and on each side of the second floor windows, there were small, stone, circular designs that featured sculptures of maidens inside the center of each design. One of the most prominent features of the Harvard Square Centre was the exterior border of the mezzanine level. The mezzanine border was made of bronze outlines that featured beautiful, crown details. The other prominent feature of Harvard Square Centre was the terra cotta pediment, peaked-rooftop cornice with an intricate, circular design serving as the centerpiece to the entire building’s exterior. The façade of Harvard Square Centre also featured dozes of other intricate, terra cotta, circular sculpture-designs that lined the front exterior of the building under each set of windows. The façade of Harvard Square Centre also featured stone gargoyles, lions, and eagles that overlooked the building.
Harvard Square Centre was originally built in 1925 as the Broadway Exchange Building. The Broadway Exchange Building was an office building that consisted of office space and retail space. Tenants of the Broadway Exchange Building included a number of different businesses, such as a clothing and tailoring company, a motion picture studio, an architectural firm, real estate agents, a glass company, the board of education, and even doctors offices.
By 1950, the Broadway Exchange Building changed ownership and became the Phillips Building. The building stayed as the Phillips Building until 1980.
In 1980, the building became the Harvard Square Centre. The Harvard Square Centre stayed afloat for many years before finally going abandoned in 1998 (except for the first floor retail space).
As of 2015, the Harvard Square Centre is still abandoned, except for the first floor bar/restaurant. There are currently no plans in place for the vacant building.