Project Description

The Highland Park Police Headquarters was built in 1917 and was located at 25 Gerald Street, near the corner of Woodward Avenue and , in downtown Highland Park, Michigan.  The Highland Park Police Headquarters was designed in Romanesque style, by architects, Van Leyen, Schilling & Keough.  The headquarters was a rectangular, two-story, brick, and concrete structure.   The headquarters had a basement that had been converted into an evidence room and storage area.  The first floor had a garage, the lobby and front desk,  and jail cells.  The second floor was the administration rooms and offices.  Highland Park is a suburb of Detroit, that is surrounded by Detroit, basically making it an extension of Detroit.  Highland Park has suffered from the exact same epidemics as Detroit, such as bankruptcy, corruption, and abandonment.

In 2001, the Highland Park Police Department was dissolved, and it’s operations were taken over by the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department.  In 2002, the Highland Park Headquarters, Highland Park Municipal Building, and the Highland Park Fire Headquarters were all closed.  The Highland Park Police Department by 2008, but all three of the Highland Park city buildings had become heavily looted, scrapped, and vandalized.  The Highland Park Police Department moved into a new location on Woodward Avenue.   The Highland Park Police Headquarters, Highland Park Municipal Building, and the Highland Park Fire Headquarters all sat abandoned.

The Highland Park Police Headquarters was demolished in 2012.  By 2013, a brand new Highland Park Fire Department was built on the old site of the Highland Park Police Headquarters.

As of 2015, the Highland Park Municipal Building and the Highland Park Fire Headquarters still sit abandoned with no current plans to redevelop or demolish them.