The Hotel Savarine was built in 1926 and was located at 13115 East Jefferson Avenue between Lenox Street and Drexel Street in Detroit’s Jefferson-Chalmers Historic District, on the city’s east side. The Hotel Savarine was a hotel that was built for the single ‘bachelor’s” of Detroit, most notable many of the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Lions players. The Hotel Savarine was a nine story, brick hotel that was designed by Louis Chesnow in Classical Romanesque architectural style. The exterior featured limestone that decked the entire first and second floors with ornate details throughout. The interior featured retail space and offices on the first floor, with the hotel rooms on the floors above. Intricate plaster detail could be found hidden throughout the building’s interior.
In 1990, the Hotel Savarine was changed from a hotel into low income apartments. It was renamed the Winston Place. The Winston Place didn’t last long and eventually went bankrupt.
In 2004, Winston Place closed for good. The Winston Place was soon targeted by scrappers who eventually tore the place up. After a failed renovation, scrappers again made quick work of all the new windows and any other metal that had been put in. The former hotel had quickly become a shell of it’s former glory.
As of 2016, the former Hotel Savarine still sits abandoned and completely scrapped out. There are no current plans to redevelop, renovate, or demolish the building.