Project Description

M.M. Rose School was built in 1897 and was located at 5505 Van Dyke Avenue between East Ferry Avenue and East Palmer Street on Detroit’s east side.  M.M. Rose School was designed by noted-architects Malcomson & Higginbotham and is the oldest abandoned school in Detroit.  M.M. Rose School was named after Miss M.M. Rose, who was a long time member of the Detroit Board of Education.  Alumni and former students of M.M. Rose School were known as the “Rose Comets,” as their school mascot was a comet.  M.M. Rose School was a property of the Detroit Public School system.

In 1980, M.M. Rose School closed.  M.M. Rose School had started to loose more and more students until it finally closed in 1980. The students were moved into a newer school located around the corner.  M.M. Rose School has been abandoned ever since.  It has been scrapped and heavily damaged from the harsh elements.  The floor has collapsed in many sections making the building very dangerous to enter.

As of 2015, the school is still abandoned.  It seems to be well secured, as the city keeps a close eye on it.