Project Description

The Motor Transportation Garage for the City of Detroit was built in 1955 and was located at 2141 Livernois Avenue near the corner of Vernor Highway, on Detroit’s south west side.  The Motor Transportation Garage for the City of Detroit was built on the same site as the old garage which was built in 1917 and was closed in 1949.  The Motor Transportation Garage for the City of Detroit was a long, ranch-style, one-story structure that was designed in modern style architecture.  The exterior of the Motor Transportation Garage for the City of Detroit had an all red-brick façade with blue-tinted windows that surrounded the entire exterior of the structure.  The administration offices were located up at the front of the structure and the garage was located in the back of the building.  The Motor Transportation Garage for the City of Detroit was the auto mechanics and repair shop for the City of Detroit vehicles.

In 2011, the City of Detroit was facing bankruptcy and the decision was made to cut costs wherever possible.  The Motor Transportation Garage for the City of Detroit was closed as a direct result.

When the Motor Transportation Garage for the City of Detroit closed in 2011, it was quickly tagged with graffiti and targeted by scrappers.

As of 2015, the Motor Transportation Garage for the City of Detroit is still abandoned.  The building is completely blown out and the future of this building is certainly grim.  There are no current plans in place for the abandoned garage.