Project Description

New Glacier Appensenior Missionary Baptist Church was originally built as Greater St. Paul Baptist Church in 1926.  It was located at 7203 Harper Avenue, at the corner of Frontenac Street, on Detroit’s east side.  Greater St. Paul Baptist Church held their congregation at the church form many years before they finally outgrew the small, two-story church.  In 1984, Greater St. Paul Baptist Church moved to it’s current location on Gratiot Avenue.  After  Greater St. Paul Baptist Church moved, the church became New Glacier Appensenior Missionary Baptist Church.  New Glacier Appensenior Baptist Church occupied the church from 1984 until they closed around 1993.  The church has remained abandoned since 1993.  It has been scrapped of it’s metal, stained-glass windows, and anything else of any value.  Stepping into the sanctuary is very dangerous, as the floor has collapsed in several different areas.  Plants and wildlife have begun to overtake the interior of the church.  Many of the church pews were left behind, but seem to be sinking no the rotting floor below.  A large hole in the ceiling is a skylight to the heavens, but has also been the primary source of all the water damage to the interior of the former church.

As of 2015, New Glacier Appensenior Missionary Baptist Church still sits abandoned along a dead-stretch of Harper Avenue.  With the neighborhood in the shape that it’s in, it is highly unlikely that this church will ever see another prayer.  There are no current plans for redevelopment or demolition.