The Olde Building was built in 1927 and was located at 751 Griswold Street at the corner of Lafayette Boulevard in downtown Detroit. The Olde Building was designed by Albert Kahn in a Neo-Classical architecture. The Olde Building was five stories tall; built with beautiful limestone columns and featured an intricate cornice, with many other limestone details throughout the building’s exterior. The interior of the Olde Building was just as beautiful, as it featured gorgeous hand-painted, ornate, cathedral, trey-type ceilings. The Olde Building was home to Olde Stockholders that was founded by property owner, Ernie Olde.
In the 1930’s, Ernie Olde’s son hung himself in the elevator shaft of the Olde building on Griswold. Shortly after the death of his son, Ernie Olde sold the building to First State Bank. The Olde Building became the First State Bank Building and the bank was on the first and second floor, while more office space was on the other floors. The Fist State Bank Building would go on to serve downtown Detroit for over 50 years.
In 1997, the First State Bank moved out and the former Olde Building was closed for good. The former Olde Building was secured and moth-balled for many years before renovations were finally undertaken on the historic building.
As of 2015, the former Olde Building is being converted into retail space on the first floor, with lofts (of course) on the upper floors. It is great to see another beautiful building come back to life in Detroit.