Project Description

St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran School was built in 1912 and was located at 2281 Pierce Street near the corner of Chene Street, on Detroit’s east side.  St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran School was the parochial school for the church next door, St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, also known as the Universal Hagar’s Spiritual Association (UHSA) Church.  St. Peter’s Evangelical School was a brown-brick, three-story structure that was rectangular in shape.  St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran School had multiple classrooms, a cafeteria, and a large auditorium that was on the second floor.  The students that would attended St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran School were normally the children of the church’s parishioners.  St. Peter’s Evangelical School and St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church served a large German-immigrant population that lived in the neighborhood surrounding the church and school on Detroit’s east side.

St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran School did well over the years as enrollment remained small.  When St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church merged with St. Thomas Church in 1945, the school and the church were sold to St. Titus Evangelical Lutheran Church.  In 1950, the school and church were again sold to another congregation.  This was when the Universal Hagar’s Spiritual Association (UHSA) Church bought the two buildings.  Universal Hagar’s Spiritual Association (UHSA) Church was an African-American church that blended Catholic rituals, holiness preaching, traditions of folk magic, and elements of voodoo culture.  The church became their sanctuary and place of worship, while the school became their “headquarters.”  The school would remain the UHSA Church’s headquarters until they abandoned both the school and the church in 2005.  UHSA Church moved their operations to Oakman Boulevard on Detroit’s west side.

When the former St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran School closed in 2005, the school was scrapped and vandalized.  The school also became a popular place for “squatters” to sleep, hang, out, drink, drug, and “do” their business.  The school remained wide-open for many years before finally being demolished.

In 2013, the former St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran School and St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church/USHA Church were both demolished by the City of Detroit.

As of 2015, a beautiful empty, dirt-filled lot sits where the school and church once stood tall and proud.