The Clairwood was an apartment building that was built in 1925 and was located at 100 Clairmount Avenue between Woodward Avenue and Second Avenue on Detroit’s west side, just south of the Boston-Edison district. The Clairwood apartment building was a beautiful four-story, dark-brick structure that is trimmed in limestone bordering throughout the exterior. The Clairwood apartment building’s roofline contains three peaks that rise above the cornice. The interior lobby of the Delmar was just a beautiful as the building’s façade. The lobby featured arched-windows, as well as ornate plaster detail that included immaculate detailing around the molding. The entrance also featured a double stairway that was built atop of a beautiful Pewabic Pottery tiled-wall. The Clairwood was considered “upscale” living at the time of the building’s completion, but the neighborhood eventually changed over the years.
In the 1980’s, the Clairwood was converted into low-income and subsidized apartments. The one-time elegant building had taken it’s turn for the worst, but the worst was yet to come.
In 2008, the worst eventually came when the Clairwood was closed down and abandoned.
As of 2015, the Clairwood is still abandoned and continuing to decay. Even though it appears that there was renovations could happening inside of the Clairwood, it appears that the project was abandoned at some point. Unfortunately, that is a common theme