The Sarasota was built in 1938 and was located at 325 Merton Avenue between Second Avenue and Woodward Avenue in Detroit’s Palmer Park neighborhood, on the city’s northwest side. The Sarasota was designed in Moorish/Spanish architectural style by the Weidmaier and Gay architectural firm. The Sarasota was a large, four-story apartments building with a light, brown-brick façade that was accented in Pewabic Pottery glazed-tiles throughout the exterior. The Sarasota’s exterior windows were a mix between square borders and arched borders; with reddish-brown, Pewabic-tiles serving as the window accents and bordering. The Sarasota’s roofline contains diamond-shaped, limestone-ornaments with more limestone-garland designs directly below the cornice. Serving as the centerpiece of each of the Pewabic-tiled, window borders, was a off-white, diamond-shaped design. Bordering the main entrance were white, plaster blocks that arched around the top of the doorway and extended down the sides. One of the most prominent features of the Sarasota were the many, pointed-rooflines along the building’s exterior that were all topped with reddish, clay-tiled shingles. The other prominent exterior feature of the Sarasota was the two porches that protruded from the front of the building. Both of the porches featured an arched design, with a white, parapet-style roofline. The Sarasota was considered luxurious living at the time of the building’s completion, but the neighborhood surrounding the Delmar began to drastically change…..for the worst.
By 1980, the Sarasota had been converted into low-income and subsidized housing. The one-time elegant building had sadly become a product of the environment.
In 2005, the Sarasota was finally closed down and all of the tenants were forced to leave.
In 2013, the Sarasota was purchased by a private owner that was looking to restore the abandoned building.
As of 2015, the Sarasota has been fully resorted into an apartment building. We at Detroit-ish always smile when we see an abandoned building come back from the dead.