Tiger Stadium was built in 1912 and was located at 2121 Trumbull Avenue at the corner of Michigan Avenue, in the Corktown neighborhood, just outside of downtown Detroit. Because of it’s location on the corner of Trumbull and Michigan Avenue, the stadium was nicknamed “The Corner.”
When Tiger Stadium was built in 1912, it was originally named Navin Field. Back then there was no “stadium” built yet, but rather just a baseball field. It was named Navin field because the field was named after the then-owner of the Detroit Tigers, Frank Navin. It was Navin Field from 1912 until 1935. In 1935, Navin Field was renamed Briggs Stadium after owner Walter O. Briggs. A series of expansions began prior to the 1936 and went through the 1937 season. With these expansions, Briggs Stadium was now enclosed and had a capacity of 54,500, making it one of baseballs largest stadiums. The Detroit Lions started playing at Briggs Stadium in 1938 and played there until the Pontiac Silverdome opened in 1975.
In 1961, Briggs Stadium was renamed Tiger Stadium when the team was bought by John Fetzer. Tiger Stadium underwent more renovations in 1978. Over the next seven years, a $18.5 million facelift was completed at the stadium. This included replacing the original green seats with new orange and blue seats, a new video/scoreboard replaced the old hand operated one in centerfield, a new press box with two luxury suites were hung from the second deck, concessions and restrooms were updated, and new blue and white siding was added to the façade of the stadium. In 1993, another $8 million in expansions were completed at Tiger Stadium, including building a food court called the Tiger Plaza, where the players once parked. Tiger Stadium was a fabulous baseball park, but despite all the expensive renovations, Tiger Stadium would only be open for a few more years.
The last game at Tiger Stadium was on September 27, 1999. Many fans were saddened when the last game was played at “The Corner.” For nearly a decade Tiger Stadium sat abandoned as several attempts were made by preservation groups to save and renovate a portion of the facility for a variety of uses. The City of Detroit was uninterested in saving any part of the stadium and in July 2007 announced plans to demolish Tiger Stadium. Seats and other items were removed from the stadium in October 2007.
Demolition of Tiger Stadium began in 2008 and was completed in 2009. As of 2015, the original baseball field remains intact with the original flag pole in centerfield still standing. The south-side Plaza Gates, where baseball fans entered Tiger Stadium, are still there as well. There are some talks of keeping the baseball field in tact for a youth baseball program, allowing baseball to continue on “the corner” for many more generations to come.
Tiger Stadium in 2008:
Tiger Stadium in 2009:
Tiger Stadium in 2011 (after demolition).